Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Very Late Puberty

 Loser - Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:52 pm

Hello, my eighteenth birthday just passed. I've always been considered small size and a late grower. My whole family has grown late, my siblings are also behind on growth. I have never noticed a significant growth in my testicles or penis... I'm sure it hasn't started yet, but i have small amounts of underarm, leg and even facial hair. I haven't started my "traditional family growth spurt" that always comes around the eighteenth/seventeenth years of life. It is very very hard for me, i don't feel like i can take much more of this. I'm a legal adult but you'd never know it. I stand about 5'7'' and 130 lbs. Do i need to seek help, and press my doctor about growth hormones? when i asked him about way to "boost my growth" he answered with i only need to lift weights and eat more protein. I'm an athletic guy, that's not my biggest concern. I have this feeling my testicular growth will not occur if i do not do something about it, but it's so awkward. What should i do? Thanks in advance for your time.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:25 pm

User avatar Hello,

I am not in a position to be able to evaluate the severtiy of your condition, however, if you are not convinced with your doctor's evaluation a good place to start would be to get a second opinion. Consulting an endocrinologist would be a good idea.

Please note that when you say that your siblings are also slow in growth that this suggests a constitutional phenomenon (a variation of normal) rather than a disease process.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us