Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Very Late Puberty

Loser - Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:52 pm

Hello, my eighteenth birthday just passed. I've always been considered small size and a late grower. My whole family has grown late, my siblings are also behind on growth. I have never noticed a significant growth in my testicles or penis... I'm sure it hasn't started yet, but i have small amounts of underarm, leg and even facial hair. I haven't started my "traditional family growth spurt" that always comes around the eighteenth/seventeenth years of life. It is very very hard for me, i don't feel like i can take much more of this. I'm a legal adult but you'd never know it. I stand about 5'7'' and 130 lbs. Do i need to seek help, and press my doctor about growth hormones? when i asked him about way to "boost my growth" he answered with i only need to lift weights and eat more protein. I'm an athletic guy, that's not my biggest concern. I have this feeling my testicular growth will not occur if i do not do something about it, but it's so awkward. What should i do? Thanks in advance for your time.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:25 pm

User avatar Hello,

I am not in a position to be able to evaluate the severtiy of your condition, however, if you are not convinced with your doctor's evaluation a good place to start would be to get a second opinion. Consulting an endocrinologist would be a good idea.

Please note that when you say that your siblings are also slow in growth that this suggests a constitutional phenomenon (a variation of normal) rather than a disease process.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us