Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: why can't i come out pregnant?

irene avalos - Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:40 pm

hi, back in march i was prescribed depo provera pills because i had not had a period for six months. after i took the pills for 10 days i started a period. well i've had a regular period since april and cannot come out pregnant. can someone please give me an idea on what could be wrong. this all started when i stopped using the nuva ring (birthcontrol) back in june of 2005. i have not used any protection but no baby.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:04 pm

User avatar Hello,

Your inability to get pregnant is probably related to the cause of your amenorrhea.

If your periods are irregular or have stopped completely and your doctor can find no obvious cause, it may be that something has upset your natural hormone levels. Medroxyprogesterone (Provera) can help to restore your natural hormone levels, because it mimics the effects of your natural progesterone.

In other words Provera will get your menstrual cycles going but it won't treat the cause that stopped them in the first place.

I would suggest going back to your gyno on that one.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us