Forum Name: Fertility

Question: please help don't know if its safe...

Emma* - Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:08 am

Hi; I have a question regarding the effects of ampicillin and birth control pills. I know that it is known to reduce the effectivness of BCP'S however I'm confused about the situation I'm in. I have not taken ampicillin but where I work sometimes the jars of capsules are left open and you can kind of smell it in the room. All the medication is contained inside the capsules except for the odd open pill I ws just wondering would being exposed to this reduce the effectivness of my pills. I have also been having some sore joints and muscle pain. Would the ampicillin be causing this. I really don't see howe it could but I just want to make sure.

thankyouu
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:11 am

User avatar Hi Emma*,
In my opinion, it would be highly unlikely that the ampicillin would be the causative factor for your symptoms and exposure in the manner you stated, to my knowledge, does not alter the effectiveness of birth control medications.