Question: swollen shaft (really frustrating)

chunx11 - Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:56 pm

hey, i am a 17 year old male and have a girlfriend who i have been seeing for close to year now.

only the other day we was having sexual intercourse and it got abit rough and hard. at first i felt no pain what so ever (as far as i can remember anyway) and just carried on with what i was doing.

around 2 hours later i went home and felt a pain on the shaft of my penis, i had a look and i had a patch of red skin which looked really irritated which lead from the base of my shaft just before my pubic region up to about half way up my shaft. when i touched it it was really quite sore and then after i had been inspecting it, it still remained sore. i thought that maybe it had been because i had been having abit of a prod at it so i just left it and thought i should wait tttill he morning and see if it had gone down.

the next day i still had a pain there so i looked again and this time it had gotten abit redder and had started swelling at the base of my shaft, although the pain was basically the same as the night before (if not less).

that leads me to tonight where i have just recently discovered some thin red markings running horizontally along the swelling.

i am having no problems getting erections and i can ejacualte normally. although whilst masterbating i had to stick to the head of the penis through pain on the shaft and also is irritating when drying off after i urinate.

do u have any idea what this could be?
could it be a sign of an infection or is it just a common irritation or friction burn from hard sex? i hope for a reply soon as i am the highly paranoid type of guy and its really frustrating and scaring me.

thank you kindly.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:42 am

Minor trauma to the meatus or shaft of the penis can result from allergens, mechanical trauma, intercourse, oral sex, or chemical irritants.

When erect, the penis, is more easily damaged, with one review noting that 50% of penile injuries occurred during sexual intercourse, while an additional 21% were characterized as sequelae of other erotic practices.

The fact that its swollen does suggest that it may have also become infected.

That said and given the limitations of the internet as a diagnostic tool, you are always advised to seek a direct clinical examination to reach the proper diagnosis.