Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Delayed Puberty? Other problem?

Confused16 - Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:50 pm

Hello,

I have read through several threads here on the forums, however I haven't quite been able to find the answer I'm looking for.

I am currently a 16 year-old Caucasian male and have not been diagnosed with anything sexually-related. I have not have had any surgeries in the past.

My question is regarding delayed puberty, however I'm not quite sure that's what it is because everything else has developed as-per-normal. My penis has remained unchanged in size, and same with the scrotum area. I have read the "average" size, but I'm convinced it's most definitely not the average from a general concensus. When erect it is not much more than 6 inches and extremely skinny.

Like I said, I'm not sure if this is related to delayed puberty, but I am definitely looking to see if there is anything that can be prescribed for enlargement purposes.

Please help!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:18 pm

User avatar Hello,

Penis size is genetically determined. During puberty testicles begin to enlarge and hair grows in the pubic region then penis starts to grow in length.

Average penis size for mature non-erect adult is about 3 to 4 inches.

The size of the penis may continue to grow 2 years after growing in height stops.

Hope you find this information useful.
Best regards,
 Confused16 - Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:54 pm

Does (or can) masturbation affect the growth rate during puberty?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us