Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: lump on penis

 chunx11 - Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:50 pm

im a 17yr old male and recently posted about a red swelling on the shaft of my penis.

well that was 4 days ago. today i have noticed a swollen looking lump which covers pretty much covers up a whole line of the top left of my penis.

it is very easily noticed and you can easily see that it lumps out, but it isnt hard its just soft skin which makes it appear swollen, however, there is no pain in the lump.

the only pain comes from the base of my shaft just below the pubic region which hurts when any pulling force occurs.

im just wondering, if i may have an infection. a littleswelling from hard sex which has jus lasted abit longer than expected, or whether the lump signifies a more serious problem. i.e cancer as i have no knowledge on how to tell cancerous lumps from any other lump. please help asap. thanks for your time.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:40 pm

User avatar Hello,

The causes of this swelling may include :

- Inflammation of the Hair follicles and sebaceous (sweat) glands.
Hair follicles and sebaceous (sweat) glands are normally found on the penile shaft, particularly on the ventral surface (underside). They may be infected, trichomycosis in the case of sweat glands and folliculitis in the case of hair follicles.

They may be visible as small nodules or might only be felt as small lumps in the skin. They are yellow/black or red nodules on the hair shafts in the inguinal region. Nodules are often on the scrotum and occasionally on the base of the shaft of the penis. They may contain pus in them.

- Dermatitis which is referred to different types of skin rashes that are caused by infections, allergies, and irritants.

There are many causes for contact dermatitis some involve irritants such as soaps, certain creams and some may be due to allergy.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
Keep us updated,
Best regards.

The hallmark is that they will have a hair arising from them that reveals their true nature. These lesions can be associated with erythema and itching. Superinfection with other dermatophytes has been noted.
 chunx11 - Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:36 am

thank you very much!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us