Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Severe curvature of penis

 rez - Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:08 pm


For as long as i can remember i have had a rather severe curvature of my penis. When fully erect my penis more or less points 90 degrees upwards. Now i believe that this defect is either congenital or, which might be more likely, originating from a surgery i had when i was about seven years old. The surgery i had was to correct my tight foreskin, and i suppose its possible the doctor screwed up during surgery, thus injuring my penis.

At 20 years old i'm still a virgin because i am afraid this condition will make it impossible or at least very difficult to have intercourse. What do you think of my situation? And what should i do?

 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:23 pm

User avatar Hello,

You may have a condition known as Peyronie's disease. Peyronie's disease is an abnormal curve or bend in the penis during an erection.

Although the cause of Peyronie's disease is not known. It is thought that microvascular injury plays an important role in the pathology of this disease. Repeated injury to the small vessels leads to microscopic bleeding which leads to coagulation and fibrin deposition. Repeated fibrin deposition ultimately leads to a plaque formation. This usually occurs near the midline of the shaft.

Symptoms of Peyronie's disease include painful erection, penile curvature to varying degrees and only during erection and a fibrotic plaque greater than 1.5cm is usually felt in the midline either on the front or the back of the shaft. The plaque is sometimes felt in the flaccid penis as well. Some cases complain of an hourglass deformity with flaccidity of the distal penis.

Please have your doctor look at it. He would be able to properly assess your condition and advise you on the best therapeutic options.

Best regards,
 rez - Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:45 pm

well i don't really have a plaque, and my erections doesn't hurt so i don't now...
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:16 pm

User avatar Hello,

These findings and symptoms are not present in everyone with this condition. That's why you need to be examined, please get an appointment to visit your doctor.

Keep us updated.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us