Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Mastitis?

ibanezjem - Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:31 pm

HI,
I am a 30 year old, white female who was just diagnosed with mastitis. I know it isn't a big deal but I am a little confused. I came home and got online to get some more info and everything I read is directed toward breast feeding women. I haven't breast fed in over 7 years.....
I am a dog groomer and I quite often have to remove dog hairs that have made it through my clothing and are stuck in my nipples. They actually burrow into the skin. Is it possible that I missed a hair and that is what's causing the infection and if so are anibiotics going to take care of the infection if the hair is still in there?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:29 pm

User avatar ibanezjem,
Good to see you here again! Now about mastitis its a common condition. Some are more susceptable than others especially if like you said they are breast feeding. If you noticed that dog hairs get stuck in your nipples, then more than likely you have found the causative agent. The problem is that the hair would innoculate bacteria into the breast and this would lead to the inflammation. Antibiotics will take care of it but you should be more careful like wearing more protective clothing while grooming them next time.

Regards,