Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Hysterosalpingogram or Endocrinologist?

mforbes - Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:07 am

I had an Ileoanalanastomosis in 1985 and a Right Ovariectomy in 1991. My cycles have been regular, though I do sometimes suffer monthly migraines when my progesterone level drops. I am otherwise healthy - correct height/weight ratio, exercise regularly, no smoking or drinking, no prescription drug use.... We tried the ovulation drugs for a few months to no avail; also did the temperature thing (mine never changed!) and so on... My husband's sperm count is fine, but still after 5 years we have not been able to achieve pregnancy. My question is: What is the best next step - hysterosalpingogram or a visit to an endocrinologist? One provides an insight as to whether there is a physical blockage, and is only good for about 3 months as far as opening up any scar tissue I might have in my fallopian tube; the other may provide insight as to whether this is a hormone problem or not. So - which one first? Thanks.

Laura
 Dr. Russell M - Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:20 pm

User avatar Hi!

This far into your evaluation for infertility, I feel you should go on with your hysterosalpingogram to rule out uterine factors. I feel that your reproductive endocrinologist would also be of the same opinion, but it is best to consult.

bill
 mforbes - Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:40 pm

Thanks for the answer - I appreciate it!

Laura

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us