Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Hysterosalpingogram or Endocrinologist?

 mforbes - Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:07 am

I had an Ileoanalanastomosis in 1985 and a Right Ovariectomy in 1991. My cycles have been regular, though I do sometimes suffer monthly migraines when my progesterone level drops. I am otherwise healthy - correct height/weight ratio, exercise regularly, no smoking or drinking, no prescription drug use.... We tried the ovulation drugs for a few months to no avail; also did the temperature thing (mine never changed!) and so on... My husband's sperm count is fine, but still after 5 years we have not been able to achieve pregnancy. My question is: What is the best next step - hysterosalpingogram or a visit to an endocrinologist? One provides an insight as to whether there is a physical blockage, and is only good for about 3 months as far as opening up any scar tissue I might have in my fallopian tube; the other may provide insight as to whether this is a hormone problem or not. So - which one first? Thanks.

 Dr. Russell M - Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:20 pm

User avatar Hi!

This far into your evaluation for infertility, I feel you should go on with your hysterosalpingogram to rule out uterine factors. I feel that your reproductive endocrinologist would also be of the same opinion, but it is best to consult.

 mforbes - Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:40 pm

Thanks for the answer - I appreciate it!


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us