Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Vaginal Odor

Dixie27 - Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:14 am

I'm a 38 yr. old married female, I have first degree amenhorreah and haven't had a period in three years because I quit taking HRT. I currently take Topamax 100 mg bid for migraines, lipitor 10mg QD for cholesterol, and lortab prn for chronic disc disease. I'm 5'9 and weigh 138. My husband and I have not had sex in over a year, I don't have a vaginal discharge, but I do have an obvious vaginal odor, even after I bathe, I notice within an hour the smell is back. What could be the cause? It's very embarrassing. I don't even want to attempt to seduce my husband, please help.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:03 pm

User avatar Hello,

Vaginal odor occurs typically due to inflammation of the vagina. Inflammation of the vaginal results mainly from infection in or the surrounding of the vagina (like glands).
Dryness of the vagina makes the area more prone to infections.

Causes of infection include:
Bacterial Vaginosis
Vaginitis
Chlamydia and Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
Yeast (fungal) Infection
PIDs

Infection of the vagina is usually associated with discharge that may be seen only during local examination.
Direct clinical examination is essential.

I advise you to follow up with your Doctor to receive the proper treatment.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us