Question: Penis & sex drive on the fritz...

randoma - Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:11 pm

22-yo, in good health, no meds, some family history of hypertension.

About a month and a half ago I noticed that I was having trouble reaching or maintaining a full erection, either for intercourse or masturbation...Not complete failure, but I wouldn't put it at anything better than 70 percent. I've never had an issue with it until this point, and I wasn't expriencing anything abnormally stressful at the time--absolutely zero recognition or worry until I actually noticed it happening.

It's persisted for several weeks. After the first 2 or 3 weeks I started occasionally noticing a bit of blood or whatever else mixed in with the semen--just enough to make either the whole load or, more generally, the last couple of gasps a bit red/brown in appearance. Sometimes a little dribbling of the same color right after the act.

From time to time the ramp-up process will be accompanied by a bit of pain, or more so a twinge in the shaft of the penis as it's engorging. Seems to be localized to the left side, around the base or lower. A certain droopy tightness, if that makes sense.

I should mention that this entire issue has arisen (ha) during a more general drop in my sex drive...That's probably been going on for at least 2 or so months. Very little desire to look at porn, fantasize, etc. Anyhow, masturbation is more infrequent and very rarely fueled by any real horniness beforehand. Spontaneous contact with my girlfriend can still get me going pretty well, but I always seem to fall short of full-on engorgement.

I know that erection issues can very frequently be attributed to psychology, but since I am well-adjusted, happy, and still not too freaked out about the whole thing, I'm thinking my case may be something more medical. An infection, or a problem with blood flow? Something that might be helped with herbs/dietary supplements/etc.?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:13 pm

User avatar There may be a few possible causes for your symptoms. The blood has me a little more suspicious of an infection or other process involving the prostate or one of the other glands of the penis.

You may also have a lower than normal testosterone level.

I would recommend you see your doctor, and possibly a urologist for evaluation and proper testing.