Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Vasectomy Reversal

Medinaz - Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:02 pm

My husband is 27 yrs. old and is going to have a vasectomy reversal done in Feb. '07. It has been 3 yrs. since his inital vasectomy. I am 24 yrs. old, my question is... How long before sperm is present, and I can become pregnant? What are the chances of the procedure being successful?

Thank You!!
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:11 pm

Dear Medinaz,

According to papers and researches, pregnancy rate following vasectomy ranges between 25-50% and that is because the sperms were trapped in the testis for such a long time, they become weak and their motion even becomes slower.
Sperms can be present in the semen either right away or it might take a couple of weeks...but for you to get pregnant you should give yourself a chance of 1 year before trying ECSI (extracorporeal sperm injection) where doctors get your ova and his sperm and inject it and them put it back into your uterus.

Be patient and best of luck,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us