Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Vasectomy Reversal

Medinaz - Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:02 pm

My husband is 27 yrs. old and is going to have a vasectomy reversal done in Feb. '07. It has been 3 yrs. since his inital vasectomy. I am 24 yrs. old, my question is... How long before sperm is present, and I can become pregnant? What are the chances of the procedure being successful?

Thank You!!
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:11 pm

Dear Medinaz,

According to papers and researches, pregnancy rate following vasectomy ranges between 25-50% and that is because the sperms were trapped in the testis for such a long time, they become weak and their motion even becomes slower.
Sperms can be present in the semen either right away or it might take a couple of weeks...but for you to get pregnant you should give yourself a chance of 1 year before trying ECSI (extracorporeal sperm injection) where doctors get your ova and his sperm and inject it and them put it back into your uterus.

Be patient and best of luck,