Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Pain in vagina with tampon etc. PLEASE HELP

ellie_boo - Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:01 pm

Hi there, I hope somebody can help. I never ot the hang of tampons as a teenager and only started trying them recently (im 22) The problem is, I can insert them easily enough, but when they are in there, I can feel them inside me and have to take them out as they are very uncomfortable (I push them as afar in as possible, I think theyre in the right place). It hurts a bit as they come out and then afterwards im left with a mild burning sensation inside (very mild, but still there). Whats wong with me? Ive read something on vulvar vestibulitis which has me a bit worried now. Can my GP help? Im very scared. Could it be a yeast infection even though its been going on for over 6mnths?Intercourse is also painful - things can get inside me, they just hurt when theyre in (ive only had sex a few times though so its hard to tell)
I appreciate any feedback. God Bless.
Sincerely Ellie
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:56 pm

User avatar There are a few possibilities that I can think of. One possibility is that you may be allergic to the material in the tampon. This can explain the pain while inserted and the burning afterwards. As a test, you may try taking some diphenhydramine (Benadryl) to see if the burning goes away. This explanation is not as good for pain with intercourse.

Painful intercourse can have several causes as well. One very common reason is anxiety about pain. Anxiety causes muscles to contract, making intercourse more difficult and thus more painful-sort of a self fulfilling fear.

I would suggest talking with a gynecologist about your symptoms. A physical examination may be helpful to look for any signs of inflammation or infections that may be causing your pain.

Hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us