Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: In Vetro after tubes tied

mommykjo - Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:29 pm

Hello there,

3 years ago I had my 4th baby and had my tubes tied, not sure of the technical name, now we may be interested in having another baby. At the time, it was the right decision for us, but now we would like to possibly have another baby. I am 32 years old and have got pregnant very easy and had good pregnancies with the ones that worked out and delivered perfectly quick. I had my tubes done twice due to getting pregnant with a tubal pregnancy a couple months after my first tubal tie surgery. So, back in again, took a larger piece out and cuterized both ends I believe. I assume in vetro would be our best option. My husband and I had no trouble concieving, usually first month we tried every time. Although, I had 3 tubal pregnacies and a couple other odd pregnancy losses. Total of 9 pregnancies all together. Anyway, we seem very very fertile other than the tubal problem now. Would it be fairly easy for two very fertile people to conceive with in vetro on the first try or does that not pretain to how fertile we are. I am new to this way of pregnancy and my doctor's will probably think I'm nuts getting pregnant again and going through this trouble for #5 baby. Also, wondered who northpointe ob deals with as far as a fertility clinic, they are my primary doctor's, but before I embarress myself by telling them we may want another baby, thought I would get more information and see if we really want to persue this route. Any ideas how much in vetro cost would be also? Thanks for any advice or answers to some of my questions.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:06 pm

User avatar I suspect, given your descriptions, that you should have no trouble with embryo implantation and carrying a baby to full term if you were to successfully become pregnant using IVF.

That being said, IVF success rates are somewhat independent of the couple in that there are many steps that are difficult simply by technological means. Your chances of success are likely to be the same as the general chances of success with IVF. Success rates are generally quoted at about 20-30% for each attempt. (Some clinics are reporting higher rates now, but none are above 40-50% to my knowledge.)

Costs are reported to be around 10-15,000 US dollars per cycle (attempt).

Hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us