Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders


 hn67 - Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:39 am

I'm an 19 year old male, at 5'8", weighing around 140 lbs. And for as long as I can remember having an erection, I've had a curved penis along with it. I went to my physician and after poking around for a few seconds, indicated that nothing was wrong. I've read online that to see whats wrong with a curved penis during erection, it would have to be errected. He diagnosed me while well, I'm "soft." Plus he looks like he should be retired and originally got his degree in Vietnam, so I doubt his knowledge a bit. Other than having to get a new physician, there are no symptoms associated with the curvature I don't think. But sometimes after intercourse, there is a bit of soreness. Not sure if thats related. I want to give you an idea of the curvature so you can let me know if its severe or "not normal". Lets say a straight penis is at a 90 degree angle, mine would be around 80 degrees.(downward) So can you tell me what you think? Or suggest a certain type of physician?
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:38 am

User avatar It sounds alot like Peyronie's Disease

Peyronie's Disease is acquired in adult life rather than at birth (like hypospadias). It is caused by the formation of hard plaque on one on the upper or lower side of the penis in layers containing erectile tissue. The local inflammation eventually develops into a full scar. This scar tissue is hard and inflexible, and causes the penis to bend when erect. The effects of this bend are far less noticeable when the penis is in a flaccid state.
This affliction leaves the penis bent distinctly in some direction. and can result in pain during erection and intercourse.
There is no need to worry about a curved penis unless the curve suddenly appeared and/or you're penis has experienced some sort of trauma.

I highly recommend that you see your health care provider who may refer you to a urologist.

Take Care

Dr. Anderson
 hn67 - Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:10 am

I read up on Peyronies Disease and it indicates that most people who are diagnosed with it, are much older than I am now, and is rare amongst my age range. Again I am 19 years old. Is Peyronies Disease something I should worry about? And is there any way I can correct the curvature? Is penis curvature neccasarily a bad thing in a medical view? Because it definitely is in my sex life.
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:33 am

User avatar Peyronies Diease is not something that needs to be worried about unless you are experiencing seriouse pain. A true diagnosis of Peyronies needs to be confirmed by your physcian.

Penis curvature is not considered to be abnormal, with regards to your sex health, intercourse is a private and personal encounter between you and your partner and if you both are being satisfied then penis curvature is not to be problematic to your performance.

If you have any questions I suggest that you seek a physcian who specializes in Urology.

Good Luck
 villevalorox - Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 am

Hi I'm almost 17 and I wanted to know if i should be worried. When my penis is soft it is very noticeable that it curves to the left. And Also when it is hard it is very noticeable. Its really embarrassing and i am really self conscious about it. I feel I can not have a happy sex life because of the embarrassment. Please tell me what i should do should i ask my doctor about it or is it nothing to worry about? It has been like this for as long as i can remember. Does Peyronies Disease only when the penis curves up and down or all directions? I do notice that one side of my penis is really hard when im erected, Is that the plaque?
 bcwhat - Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:41 pm

I think that I am experiencing an abnormal amount of penis curvature. I do not remember exactly how long I have had it for, but I am 17 now and my penis curves to the right at about a 70 degree angle (if perfectly straight ahead is 90). I have never had sex before so there is no way that it happened from that and I don't masturbate very often. When I do masturbate I do not experience any pain or soreness or problems with ejaculating, and this curvature did not happen overnight or anything but I am extremely disturbed by it. Any ideas how I might correct this problem? I have found a few strengthening exercises and I think that they might help.
 this is me - Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:32 am

Hey, I have a penis curved downward and was wondering how that would play out during sex. I'm 17 and haven't had sex yet. And is there a way to possibly straighten a penis?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:55 am

User avatar Hello,I do not think there is any problem here.Some degree of curvature is physiological and does not need intervention.Pain during sex might need looking in to like an ultrasound to rule out peyronies.Ok?
 this is me - Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:35 pm

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
 mpa001 - Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:16 am

I too think that I'm experiencing a penis curvature that may be slightly abnormal (similarly to bcwhat). I'm 17 and have never had sex, so that can't be a factor; I hardly ever masturbate and as for pain, I have never experienced any pain whatsoever during an erection, but I am still a bit worried. Should I be worried about Peyronies disease?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:10 am

User avatar Hello,A minor curvature is common is nothing to worry.If it becomes more and you develop symptoms there is a reason for a check up.Ok?
 mpa001 - Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:21 am

hi. i am 17 and i'm a little bit worried about a penis curvature. When I don't have an erection, it doesn't have a curve, but when I do, it is quite noticeable. I am a little bit worried about peyronie's disease. Should I be?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat May 08, 2010 10:05 am

User avatar Hello,Minor curvatures are quite common.Only associated pain or difficulty during intercourse need evaluation.Best wishes.
 rksparadise - Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:14 am

Hello i am 27and also facing the problem my pennis is bent towards its left . and is pain full when got errections,i do masturbate and pain is even horrible after masturbation.what would be the reason pls help me on this.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us