Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: women with XY chromosomes

corleon - Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:15 pm

My cousin just turned 15, and she never once had a period, she does not have any pubic hair and no hair under the armpits. About a week ago her parents took her to a doctor who refered them to a genetisist and he said that she has XY chromosomes, and that she is sterile.
What is the best technique to break it down to her, and explain to her that she is actually a man trapped in a womans body.?

Thank You

Corleon
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:31 pm

This is really a critical situation that need a lot of care and understanding from all the people who are in contact with him.

Consultation of a psychiatrist and close follow up with him are needed for your cousin as well as close relatives to get the proper advices that enable successful management of this situation.

It might be helpful if he is informed also with similar stories for people who could surpass the situation and achieved in their lives.

Discussion of the situation with doctors in the genetic study center will be useful as they might have faced similar situations more frequent.

I hope this is helpful.
Keep us updated.
 danaseb - Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:05 am

Okay, I know this reply is 3 years old but I have to say something in horror of the reply that was originally given.

Your cousin is and always will be a girl, female through and through. She is not a man trapped in a female body, men look, act and sound like men. Women with Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome, which is what your cousin was diagnosed with, are actually in many ways more females than us with XX chromosomes. Their bodies do not react to testosterone like ours and as such they develop post natal down a more female line. If anyone reads this with a similar question remember to tell the patient, that she will be fine and that should the doctors wish to remove her gonads due to malignancy risk, she will simply need to take a simple regiment of estrogen.