Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: swollen hair glands on genitals

 PerainoKid - Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:35 pm

I am 25 years old and Have had a problem with my genitals for a long time now. i have been to the doctor for the problem and he told me that is was in-grown hairs. all the hair glands on my genitals are swollen like pimples, and when sqeezed white thick stuff comes out. The doctor told me to try to use baby powder to make shure that i stay dry down there. I Have tried that But It did not help at all. It Itches very badly and is very widespread, PLEASE!!! What Can I do?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:25 pm

User avatar You may have a fungal infection of the skin called tinea cruris, commonly known as jock itch. THis is a fungal infection that can be treated with an antifungal cream. Treatment can take a while, however, and stopping the cream too soon results in return of the fungus. Generally, at least two weeks are needed for treatment. The treatment are should extend beyond the affected skin by about an inch to be sure that the entire infected area is treated. These infections can be quite itchy.

Additionally you may have a folliculitis that could require antibiotics to clear up. It sounds less likely to be this but it is possible.

I would suggest talking with your doctor again and discussing your persisting symptoms. Also, your doctor can recommend or prescribe the correct antifungal cream for you if you need it.

Hope this helps.
 PerainoKid - Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:39 am

Thank You , Could Jock Itch Stay Around For A Long Time ?
Because I Have Had This problem For Years Now.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us