Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Slow sexual development and obesity.

jigg2020 - Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:26 pm

I'm an 18 year old male(19 in 3 months).I've been overwieght since i was 10-11 years old and extremely obese for the last 3-4 years.My weight one year ago was about 130 kgs.Now i've reduced to about 96 kgs,mainly through dieting over the last 9 months.I also had gynocomasta(with brest tissue) for which i underwent surgery.My height is 6'1.
My puberty started when i was 13-14.I started having pubic hair when i was 14.But no external changes like voice cracking or moustache.Since then my dvelopment has progeressed very slowly with my voice cracking and little facial hair appearing at 17.Now at 18 i still look like a 13-14 year old.My skin is still soft and smoothThough i have some hair in my arms and legs.My pubic hair has also developed completly and i also have hair in my armpits.My penis size has also not incerased.I think my libido is quiet norrmal.

I've had my hormones tested:
Before i had a brief course of hcg as precribed my doctor for 3 months:
fsh:3.1 mIU/ml
LH:4.6 m IU/ml
Prolactin:6.6 ng/ml
Testotorne:3.3 ng/ml
After treatment:
Testestorone:3.2 ng/ml

Test results taken recently from another lab:
Serum testostorone: 5.28 ng/ml
Serum free testostorone:13.5 pg/ml
FSH:5.6 mIU/ml
LH:6.10 mIU/ml
prolactin 6.10 mIU/ml
Estradiol:45.75 pg/ml

Is the reason for my condition my past obesity?and is there any treatment for my condition other than it eventualy taking care of itself by reduction of my wieght?

Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:10 pm

User avatar Your labs and developmental description are indicative of testosterone deficiency. It is possible that obesity is contributing some to this as fat tissue converts testosterone into estrogen (loosely speaking); however, your estrogen levels are not elevated. This makes me think you may have a primary testosterone deficiency rather than a secondary issue.

It is interesting that your LH and FSH are normal. This would seem to indicate that your pituitary gland is not recognizing that your testosterone levels are low.

I would suggest that you discuss this with an endocrinologist. You should probably have your growth hormone tested as well. The obesity may have masked a deficiency in growth. (I don't know for sure if this can occur but obesity does lead to accelerated growth in those with normal growth hormone so I suspect it would do the same in growth hormone deficiency.) Growth hormone deficiency is associated with reduce penis growth.

Pubic and axillary hair is not driven by testosterone. This is likely the reason that you have had normal development of these without the associated other puberty changes.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:11 pm

User avatar Sorry, I forgot to mention that treatments are available for both testosterone deficiency and growth hormone deficiency. At your age, if you do have a deficiency, replacement should still yield good effects.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us