Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Headaches when I have erection

jukeboxgigalo - Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:43 pm

Just recently I have experienced moderate to fairly painful headaches when I have an erection. While having sex the headache intensifies and after orgasm it slowly goes away in 5 to 10 minutes. Not sure if it would be anything serious but it is quite bothersome sometimes.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:29 pm

User avatar Hello,

Headaches associated with orgasm is thought to be due to increased blood pressure which result in dilatation of the cerebral blood vessels.

Sex headaches can affect anyone especially stressed individuals or those on certain treatments like decongestants.

Sex headaches usually do not require treatment as they disappear in minutes spontaneously after orgasm.

Severe cases with prolonged headache may require NSAID for treatment or as prophylactic before having sex. Slowing down the sexual activity and the frequency may help in control of the headache.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us