Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Bleeding - After sex / Masturbation

ilene - Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:49 pm

Hi, I am 24 year old female. I am currently in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend. While I was with him 3 months ago I noticed that I was bleeding after having sex. He always said that he might have touched the lining of my uterus and caused some bleeding. I was worried so 3 months ago I went to the doctor to be tested for STIs they all came back negative and the doctor did not say anything about an abnormalty in my pap smear.

A month ago I purchased a vibrator - as being away from my boyfriend has been difficult. I have used it only a few times, however, the last time I used it I went all the way in - worked it vigorously. I noticed that I was bleeding after this. Does this mean that I do have abnormal bleeding from my lining? Its really annoying - especially as my boyfriend would mention that i was bleeding again when we were finished. It's a very embarrasing thing and I need to find out what's wrong with me. What should I do, What does this mean?
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:17 am

User avatar Hi Ilene,

Bleeding after intercourse or after masterbation is unusual. There could be a number of things that could cause this to happen. If you had a clear papsmear within the last 3 to 6 months and if your bleeding only presents itself immediately after intercourse or masterbation it is possible that your cervix could have small abrasions or lesions that when deep penetration occurs it causes your cervix to bleed.

If you are experincing pain during intercourse accompanied by bleeding you need to see your physcian immediately as there could be a more seriouse problem.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us