Forum Name: Fertility

Question: tubes untied

Micheller - Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:53 pm

I am 32 years old. I had gotten my tubes untied Oct. 31 2006 (I hope this day did not curse me). The doctor said that everything went fine after the surgery. The doctor did tell me the chances i have of getting pregnant. He did tell me my best chances of getting pregnant are in the first 6 months after surgery. what i wanted to know is what comes next after the 6 month mark? I assume that they will check to make sure there is a flow through my tubes with dye to make sure they did not collapse. what if they did collapse is vetro my next option? and what if they did not collapse what then? should i start taking some kind of meds to help? i just want to know the next step.
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:56 pm

User avatar Hi Micheller,

Women under the age of 40 who have a tubal reversal through the traditional surgical methods have a 70% to 80% pregnancy success rate, with conception usually occurring during the first year after the procedure. Women who have microsurgery done have a slightly higher success rate, with about 90% of women becoming pregnant within one year of the procedure. I am not sure which method was performed in your case.

Although pregnancy rates after a tubal reversal are significantly better than trying to conceive through IVF, having the procedure done does not guarantee that you will become pregnant.

If prengnancy does not occur naturally within the next 12 months, speak to your physcian about going on a fertility treatment program to help facilitate your ovulation and improve your chances of conception. (without the use of IVF).

If pregnancy does not occur by the above method, them your last option would be to consider IVF.

Good Luck and keep me updated