Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: colpostenosis

hickt - Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:00 pm

28 month old female. Could you tell me more about colpostenosis and its implications to me?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:33 pm

User avatar Colpostenosis is a narrowing of the lumen (or open area) of the vagina. Your post indicated the affected person was 28 months old. If this is correct, I'm a little uncertain as to why they would be looking for this diagnosis. I would generally encourage a 28 month old girl with colpostenosis to simply wait and see if the issue resolves once she gets older.

If the person in question is actually 28 years old there are several other factors involved in terms of implications of the diagnosis. First if the narrowing in minimal it is quite likely that there will be no noticable effects. If the narrowing is more severe there may be issues with pain during intercourse of insertion of objects (such as speculums, etc) into the vagina. Also if there is scarring resulting in bands that are causing the narrowing there may be issues during childbirth, etc.

If the narrowing is severe a colpostenotomy can be performed. This is essentially an incision into the wall of the vagina to free the narrowing.

I hope this helps. If I haven't really answered your questions please feel free to post a follow up.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us