Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: An early period: indication of pregnancy?

sammylynn32 - Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:44 pm

Hi, my name is Kelsie lynn, I'm 20 years old and my period is almost always regular (4 weeks exact). After I got back from spring break, where I had an awful sleeping pattern and ate differently than usual, I got my period, which was a week and a half earlier than usual. It was heavy at first, pretty steady for 3 days, then it was mostly brown-spotting. I have never even had sex, but my boyfriend and I were fooling around and I didn't have underwear on, and was scared that there may have been pre-ejaculation. Is there any way I am pregnant?

Any input would be helpful! Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:15 pm

User avatar The chances that you are pregnant are very, very small. More likely, the changes in your sleep pattern, activity level and stresses caused your cycle to readjust. This is very common. After the stressors resolve, the cycle usually readjusts and becomes regular again.

There is little sperm in "preejaculate" and without intercourse it would be difficult for the sperm to successfully reach the egg for fertilization.

Also, given that you had your period this is a strong indicator of non-pregnancy. Pregnancy would generally suppress menses.

Hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us