Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Pregnancy: Past vs Current Pregnancy tests

Yvonne - Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:01 am

What is the reliability of pregnancy testing done in a doctors office back in 1986? My LMP started around 5/31/86, but I wasnt sure if it was an actual normal cycle.

I went to the doctor 6/30/86 and was told in the office I was NOT pregnant, but since I was pretty sure I was, the doctor double checked by sending my lab out and it did come back positive, so I am trying to figure out what would be the earliest date I got pregnant?

Thank you,
Yvonne
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:52 pm

User avatar Currently, the highest possible screening sensitivity for an hCG-based pregnancy test conducted on the first day of a missed period is 90 percent, as 10 percent of women may not have implanted yet. It is estimated that the highest possible screening sensitivity of a home pregnancy test by one week after the first day of the missed period is 97 percent (approximately 5 weeks from the last period).

If you have just ovulated, the earliest you can get a positive result on the most sensitive pregnancy tests is seven days after ovulation. Implantation needs to occur before hCG is produced, and that generally happens 10 days after.

So the earliest you would be pregnant would be approx. 3 weeks from your LMP.