Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Pregnancy Tests in 1986

Yvonne - Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:58 pm

What is the reliability of pregnancy testing done in a doctors office back in 1986? I am basically wanting to know reliability and how many days pregnant I would have had to been before a test would come back positive back in 1986?

Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:52 pm

User avatar In 1972 Vaitukaitis, Braunstein, and Ross published their paper describing the hCG beta-subunit radioimmunoassay that could finally distinguish between hCG and LH, therefore making it potentially useful as an early test for pregnancy. Please read their article here!

In 1976 the FDA approval was sought by Warner-Chilcott for e.p.t, the “Early Pregnancy Test” later known as the “Error Proof Test.” e.p.t would become the first home pregnancy test kit on the market in the United States.

It was not until the 90s when advances in the technology of pregnancy tests included the development of new types of antibodies and the use of enzyme labels in place of radioactive labels.

Currently, the highest possible screening sensitivity for an hCG-based pregnancy test conducted on the first day of a missed period is 90 percent, as 10 percent of women may not have implanted yet. It is estimated that the highest possible screening sensitivity of a home pregnancy test by one week after the first day of the missed period is 97 percent (approximately 5 weeks from the last period).

If you have just ovulated, the earliest you can get a positive result on the most sensitive pregnancy tests is seven days after ovulation. Implantation needs to occur before hCG is produced, and that generally happens 10 days after.
 Yvonne - Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:11 pm

]What happened between 1976 and the 1990's ?

Does that mean I would have had to been further along in my pregnancy for the test on 6/30/86 to show as a positive result ?

When you said "5 weeks from the last period" for accuracy to be 97% accurate, does that mean 5 weeks from the first day of my LMP ?

When you said "If you have just ovulated, the earliest you can get a positive result on the most sensitive pregnancy tests is seven days after ovulation. Implantation needs to occur before hCG is produced, and that generally happens 10 days after.", does that mean 7-10 days from the last day of ovulation?[/b]

Thank you,
Yvonne
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:29 pm

User avatar Yes to all the above.