Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: On birth control pills - missed period

Driftwood - Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:01 am

I'm not asking about me(I'm a guy)

A friend of mine started on the Birth Control Pill in February. She is a 20 year old female. She can't remember getting her period this month and is scared about it. She and her boyfriend don't have sex yet, they do other stuff though. She was wondering if when someone starts taking the Birth Control Pill, they ever(for some wierd reason) miss a period without being pregnant.

Also, a slightly related question: how long does sperm live outside of the body without being in someone else's?

Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:56 pm

User avatar Occasionally it can take a few cycles for the birth control pills to truly regularize a woman's cycle. Most commonly, the first cycle on the pills will be the one that is different.

If there is any possibility of pregnancy I would suggest she take a pregnancy test to be sure. Also, if she does not have a period with her next set of placebo pills she should talk with her gynecologist.

Regarding your second question, sperm typically will only survive for about an hour or two outside the body. If semen is still wet, it could possibly still contain living sperm but not for too long.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us