Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Stress? pregnant? something else?

starkaren85 - Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:42 pm

Hello, thank you for reading, some replies would really help me clear my head. I'm 21 years old. My period is decently regular, every so often being off a few days. I am however slightly underweight, often stressed, and prescribed xanax for anxiety, (I have heard certain drugs such as different antidepressants can cause a late of missed period, and I didn't know if Xanax can do this or not).
I have had sex twice in the last four months, both times a condom was used--to the best of my knowledge--very carefully. The condoms used were lubricated with spermicide. Last month my period was between five days to a week late, but I chalked it up to stress as I was under very high stress at that time, (it may also be important to note that as soon as the main source of stress was removed, my period began, although with very few symptoms to announce it's arrival and very dark in color for the first few days). If my period went back to 'normal', it should begin in a couple of days, however I am concerned because I am showing little to no signs that it is coming., which is unusual, since I used to show many signs that it was approaching. I am wondering, how great is the risk of being pregnant? And otherwise, what else could be the causes for this? Could stress from last month, or last month's period being off still be affecting me in this month? Thank you in advance for any replies.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:43 pm

User avatar Stress can definitely affect your periods and it is considered a fairly common cause of such trouble. Xanax has also been reported to have this side effect. Hormones can also get out of balance and it sometimes takes a few months to self-correct.

Used correctly, as you have stated, condoms are very effective as contraceptives with only about a 2% failure rate,(and they help prevent sexually transmitted infections). Of course, abstinence is the only 100% effective contraception, so there is always the possibility of pregnancy if you are fertile and having sexual intercourse.

A pregnancy test is the best way to find out and you should be able to tell at 5 weeks following your last regular period. A blood test can verify even earlier.

I hope this helps.
 starkaren85 - Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:06 pm

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful. I have been noticing trace amounts of blood and some tissue matter for the last couple of days. Mostly, I notice this if I wipe. I am worried that this might be implantation bleeding. I took a home pregnancy test today (a First Response Early Result) and it was negative, however I am concerned that I may have tested too early. Could this be implantation bleeding? Is it more likely that it is implantation bleeding or my period pending to begin? I had cramps and ovarian pain during the last few days, but today haven't noticed any. I am probably going to try to go see a doctor to get a blood test preformed this week if my period doesn't start soon. Should a blood test be accurate by now? Any replies are GREATLY appreciated!!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:31 pm

User avatar Implantation bleeding normally occurs a week to a few days before your period would normally start. Spotting that occurs around a week after ovulation is likely implantation bleeding. While there are exceptions, spotting very close to the time that your period would normally start may likely be the beginning of your period.

You can test for pregnancy as early as ten days after ovulation with a blood test. Five weeks after your last period began would be the time for a home pregnancy (urine) test.

Cramping can be present in either early pregnancy or with a period so that doesn't really help you to know. Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us