Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Angioplasty for Erectile Dysfunction - ED

 sjerseyguy - Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:46 am

Since ED is often caused by a reduced blood flow to the penis (as in my case), can't an angioplasty (and maybe even a stent)be done on the veins / arteries in the penis to improve blood flow, just as done for the heart in a caronary angioplasty?

Age - mid fifties
BP meds for over 20 years
Cholesterol meds for over 15 years
Pre-diabetic - no meds....just exercise and diet
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:45 am

User avatar Often the underlying cause of ED is that there is a problem filling the penis with blood to create an erection. Often the issue is within the corpus cavernosum, a balloon-like structure that fills with blood.

If there is an obstruction in one of the arteries to the penis perhaps angioplasty would help. Angioplasty is unlike to help with problems within the corpus cavernosum since at this point the vessels become microsized.

Interesting thought though. I'd be interested to see studies done on this.

Best wishes.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:28 am

User avatar I would add the comment that you mentioned blood pressure medications. Discuss this with your doctor because this may also contribute to the problem. Perhaps you could find an alternative prescription that might not have the same side effects, if indeed this is happening.

Often people are hesitant to ask their doctor about these things but it is part of your overall health picture and it is important that he/she is aware of all the symptoms you have.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:05 am

User avatar Hello,

I am not a urologist but you may be interested in reading the following article about this. It's not recent but you can see from the abstract that it would only benefit a small number of patients with pure arteriogenic impotence, especially those with claudication.[1]

Most of the time these cases would be treated with other surgical procedures such as penile artery bypass surgery which is potentially curative.[2,3] This procedure is not for everyone and is usually indicated in younger males with ED that may be related to pelvic fracture, trauma to the perineum, or prolonged bicycling.

Best regards,

Valji, K. and J. J. Bookstein (1988). "Transluminal angioplasty in the treatment of arteriogenic impotence." Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 11(4): 245-52.
2. Hatzichristou, DG et al.: Arterial bypass surgery for impotence. Current Opinion in Urology 1: 1991
3. Microvascular Arterial Bypass Surgery For Arteriogenic Erectile Dysfunction. Mulhall JP et al. In Carson et al (eds). Textbook Of Erectile Dysfunction, p309-316. ISIS Medical Media, Oxford, 1999.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us