Question: Circumcision

Alex - Thu May 03, 2007 4:47 am

My dermatologist has recommended a circumcision - not urgent but he considers it worthwhile as the foreskin presents a "small but sinister" risk of cancer due to the presence of lichen sclerosis.

When I went to see the urologist (who does the surgery) I expected to have to be examined erect so that the correct amount of skin could be removed, however he said that he could estimate based on the soft tissue. I felt it would look odd to say that I'd rather he double check with an erection (particularly as there was no chance of one just happening !) so left it, is it normal not to check both ways ?

I don't want to be cut too tight but equally don't want too much skin left - which could I think diminish the value of the procedure - and am concerned that this way the result may not be optimal.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 03, 2007 1:14 pm

User avatar I would tend to agree with your urologist. Erection is not necessary to properly judge the amount of skin to remove. The outcomes are generally very good. If your urologist has performed many circumcisions it is likely that he is very competent and trustworthy.

Alex - Fri May 04, 2007 5:30 pm

Thanks, hopefully this will be OK.

I have been told to stop eating and drinking 3 hours before I check in at the hospital - I had also expected to be told to shave my pubic hair but nothing was said, would rather not have this done by medical staff on the day so should I do so in advance ?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 04, 2007 6:03 pm

User avatar Shave preps are not done as frequently as they used to be so before doing anything you should ask your doctor for his protocols about this. You may not have to worry about it at all but if so, be assured the staff would be able to clip or shave what is needed and do it in the safest and most hygeinic way to avoid any resulting infection so I would avoid the do it yourself method if I were you.