Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Not a bump...but a lump.

MLove85 - Sat May 05, 2007 10:54 pm

I am 21 years of age, I have been diagnosed with stage 2 hypertension and in the past I have had really bad menstrual cycles so at this point in time I am on the Depo Privera shot to help regulate my periods. Just now as I was cleansing myself I noticed a lump on the outside of my vagina, where my pubic hair is. I put a mirror up to it and took a look and there's nothing to which my eye can see. However, when i touch it I can feel it...there is no pain, no tenderness...no anything coming from it. Do you have any clue of what this could be?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun May 06, 2007 12:17 am

User avatar It would take a doctor's exam to say for sure but by this limited information I would guess it could be a bartholin cyst (an enlargement of a gland). If this is the case it is harmless unless it bothers you but you may want to have it checked by your doctor to be sure. If it gets larger or painful it could be an abscess which may require treatment. Some people get relief with very warm (not so hot as to burn) sitz baths. You can accomplish this just sitting in a tub or there are some portable units that are similar to a basin. Soak for 10-15 minutes 3 or 4 times daily. If you develop other symptoms, fever, etc. don't hesitate to see your health care provider.