Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: :?: ABOUT HAVING SEX FOR THE FIRST TIME

brenda - Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:33 pm

HI I AM BRENDA
MY QUESTION IS "DOES A FEMALE BLEED AFTER OR DURING HAVING SEX FOR THE FIRST TIME, IF SO IS IT A LOT "?[/quote]
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:47 pm

User avatar Not necessarily Brenda but when it does happen it's due to rupture of the hymen.
The hymen is a small piece of thin skin which goes across the opening of the vagina and protects it when she is young. It has some gaps in it where the blood can come out when she has her period.
Rupture of the hymen can be painful sometimes but the bleeding is usually not too much.
 micpepc - Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:37 pm

Hi brenda~

A lot of young women don't bleed at all. I know I didnt and quite a few of my friends didnt either. If you use tampons quite frequently or have engaged in certain types of foreplay, the hymen can get stretched out enough that it just hurts a bit, but does not bleed. I think the pain would be similiar to an ear peircing or belly button peircing, Nothing major :D
 amandamh10 - Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:18 am

Brenda,

I think every girl is different in if she bleeds or not during her first time. I, personally bled a lot, but I have friends who didn't bleed at all. Make sure the guy you are with makes sure you are "ready" before he inserts himself-i believe this is why I bled so much. Also, be safe. :)

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us