Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: very small lump on shaft of penis

 madmax - Tue May 08, 2007 12:51 pm

hi im a 23 year old male. When i was around 19-20 i had sex with a girl that i later found out to have HPV. about two months later i grew a huge lump ( about an inch thick and and inch protruding outwards)under the skin on the top of my penis shaft. It was very red and swollen and i kinda lied to myself thinking it would go away. well for the most part it did, yet now i have a small lump(about 1/8 inch thick) under the skin that is very hard and attached to my penis and not the above skin. There is no scar on the outside and the lump has never broke the service. I have no plaque and no curving in my penis and am a circumsized male. I know that HPV can cause sores in the throat also, and within this past year i seem to be getting those as well. My question is how likely is this HPV (ive never been tested) and is this lump going to need to be removed? it hasnt grown larger since it shrank. oh and lately ive noticed frequent urination at night, the inability to drain all the urine out when im done peeing, i put it back and its like i pee my pants a little. the most recent symptom is that now after i ejaculate i have some painfull swelling at the very base of the penis, closest to the anus. could it be the HPV has given me cancer at such a young age? please don't just tell me just to go to the docter, without giving me any kind of opinion. The reason i havent gone to the doctors already is ive got social anxiety disorder and am deathly afraid of needles. If im gonna brave this and go in i need some kinda opinion. thanks for your understanding
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:38 pm

User avatar It's unlikely that HPV has caused cancer for you. HPV has been faintly linked to some types of penile skin cancer but the association to male cancer is still unclear (unlike cervical cancer in women where it is a very well established fact).

HPV may have caused your lump. I would also be suspicious of syphilis. Syphilis initially causes a large, painless lump that subsequently resolves.

I would recommend testing for all STD's as a precaution.

If your symptoms persist and the STD's are negative you may need to see a urologist to see if you have a constriction of your urethra somewhere.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us