Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Infection from anal sex?

triciag - Wed May 09, 2007 5:28 pm

I am 35 and recently had anal sex for the first time with my husband. I am not concerned about STDs as both of us are clean and faithful. We had anal to vaginal intercourse without using a condom or washing the penis. I keep hearing that this can cause serious problems. I have no pain or unusual symptoms but am worried that something may happen. What can I do to prevent an infection after the fact?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 09, 2007 6:13 pm

User avatar The chances of infection are relatively low. The concern would be bring intestinal bacterial into the vaginal area. For the most part this is not a major issue as bacteria can reach the vaginal area relatively easily anyway simply by virtue of the proximity to the anus.

Good hygeine is really the only thing you should do.

If you begin to develop any pain or irritation you should see your doctor.

sss1 - Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:54 pm

i had anal sex with a man about a year ago without using a condom or any form of protection, i am not aware of any symptoms that would lead me to think i had an STD however i do get constant discharge from my vagina and occasional itching, could this indicate something? i am only 15 and worry about contacting my doctor as my parents do not know.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:17 pm

I would not suspect an infection from colon bacteria after so long but it would not be a bad idea to be checked for STDs when you see a doctor for any other reason. Once you are sexually active it is a good idea to have regular pelvic exams where your sexual health can be monitored. It would be good to have a general physical exam and if you haven't yet had the new Gardasil vaccine for HPV, this would be another good reason to see a doctor. You might suggest to your parents that you realize teens should take an active part in their health including vaccination for tetanus. Manys school health classes teach about these things and are trying to get the word out about the need for immunizations for teens. It is recommended that teens be allowed time with their doctors without parental supervision so they can feel free to discuss personal matters when they go in. If yours is a family friend, perhaps you could ask to see a gynecologist since you are a young woman now.

If your parents agree to a physical exam, you could call the doctor ahead of time and request that he/she provide some private time for you. This should be standard practice but is not always done. With an advance request, perhaps you can accomplish this. The doctor can then take the lead in stating that the parent should wait but would be invited in after a few minutes if you are comfortable with that. Hopefully your parents will also respect your privacy when it comes to a physical exam involving genitalia. It is also standard to have a medical assistant present for the pelvic exam.

There is the possibility you could have a vaginal infection. These are quite common and can be treated. Some discharge is also quite normal but it would be good to find out since you are itching as well.