Question: Post circumcision

Alex - Sat May 12, 2007 7:57 am

I was circumcised earlier this week - I had had lichen sclerosis and while this was not particularly serious it was long term as as I had been told that there was a "small but sinister" risk of skin cancer, I agreed to the procedure.

I had expected the glans to be exposed - however this has not been done and there is now a pseudo foreskin that covers the glans - and looks ridiculous as it is very thick (being comprised of folded back skin from the shaft) and then ends with a little glans peeping out the end. I realise the may be some bruising post operation but think that even allowing for this, there is excess skin. I reckon the surgeon will tell me that this is to ensure that there is sufficient skin there for an erection to be comfortable - while there is (based on the one erection I have had) there is still excess skin and I feel that more careful measuring would have taken account of this.

I am tempted to seek further surgery - assuming the skin will stand the trauma, as the cut was made just below the glans - but the insurer is likely to say that this is not medically essential so I have to pay myself - which would be (for me) a huge expense that there would have been no reason for had the work been properly done.

I am not sure how best to approach the guy who did the work, I want to make my displeasure clear but do not want him to say he knows best and walk away.

I hope this is reasonably clear.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 12, 2007 2:15 pm

User avatar This is one of the known "complications" of circumcision-leaving too much foreskin and looking as if the circumcision was not done. While this is mostly a cosmetic issue it still can be quite troubling and I completely understand your concerns.

I would recommend you wait a little longer. It is possible that the area may still get better, although I'm not sure if it will get totally better. Usually it takes around 2 weeks or so to really be fully healed.

If you still have concerns at this point I suggest you talk with your surgeon and possibly seek a second opinion.

Alex - Sun May 13, 2007 5:58 am

I agree that this must be a "complication" however it is one that presumbably can be managed.

I saw the urologist about a month ago and he indicated where the cut would be, I noted this by reference to a small spot on the fioreskin. He also siad that he drew a line on the penis before making the operation.

However on the day he seemed very busy (although I was the only person being operated on) and had no time to do anything than get me to sign the consent form - I insisted on showing and referring to the position on the penis, he did not draw any line.

The actual cut leaves considerably more skin than had been envisaged. Perhaps the circumcision is still medically valid but I do think that cosmetic considerations are also an issue - however I assume this will require a second opinion.

Would the skin be able to take a second cut (the top cut is very close to the glans so there is not spare skin there), if so how long would one have to wait ? I assume too that I would have to arrange this separately as the first surgeon is unlikely to admit he was wrong so it will be a painful and expensive process ?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun May 13, 2007 9:15 pm

User avatar You most certainly have the right to a second opinion. Your surgeon may or may not be willing to refer you to someone else. Your primary care doctor can also make a referal for you.

The circumcision can be "re-done" to remove excess foreskin that remains. There should be no "ill effects" from having a second circumcision done. Regarding timing, the urologist will probably want to wait several weeks to be sure the first incision is well healed.

I completely understand your concerns about the cosmetic appearance. It is unfortunately that you are having to go through this. I hope you are able to get this issue resolved.