Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: When my penis retracts and goes flaccid, it goes very small

 Alexei - Wed May 30, 2007 9:37 am

Hello there, im a 22 year old male, living in Russia at the moment, im white, and 6ft 3 inches in height....

The problem I have is with my isn't a direct problem with its size, when it is erect, I measure 15cm, 6 inches in length, (which I count as average) with a pretty good girth, however, the trouble is when my penis retracts and goes flaccid, it goes extremely small...embarrasingly small in fact, it shrinks to around 3-4 inches, but which appears very thin, with not much girth, also the head is a lot smaller than a lot of my friends....

It is an embarrasing problem, as in cubicles and showers, im extremely unwilling to strip naked, or reveal it, as it is embarrasing and dosent represent my erect there some sort of way I could solve this problem? it is a big problem for me and causes me a lot of depression and anger, I don't know if surgery to improve its flaccid size is wise, im asking for help from proffesionals before proceeding with anything rash or over the top, I know that pills and pumps are not recommended, but is there some sort of way in which I can use Muscle relaxers or something to increase its flaccid size? a lot of time when I expose my penis to hot water it goes to quite a good flaccid size, to that of my friends, however other times, it shrinks, is there anyway you could help me? any replies would be greatly appreciated....

Many thanks Alexei
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 31, 2007 5:03 am

User avatar I am not aware of any treatment to help what you are describing. There are surgical procedures to lengthen the penis but I would caution against these as they can potentially cause damage to the penis and end up making things worse.

Unfortunately, I really don't have much to offer you. You may wish to see a urologist to see if they have any suggestions for you.

Best wishes.
 Alexei - Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:25 am

Thankyou Dr.Lowe, much appreciated, it can be a little frustrating but I guess as an individual, it dosent really matter a great deal, and as long as I am average in terms of erect size, then the long term shouldn't be too much of a problem....

I think insecurity with the issue is probably my own problem, and not other peoples.......

Thanks for the advice, I've heard about the damage surgery can do, and if im healthy then theres no point in puting that at risk...

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us