Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Uterine Septum

jcjg87 - Wed May 30, 2007 7:37 pm

I am a 20 year old female, with a uterine septum. I found out that I had this problem because I was sent for an internal sonogram for pelvic pain, and then sent for an MRI because there was an abnormality found. I was told by my gyn that I should see a fertility specialist to get the septum removed before trying to have kids, because I will not be able to have kids with it there. I was wondering if this is something that should be done now, or if I should wait until I am ready to have children..

Thanks in advance for your help
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 31, 2007 4:30 am

User avatar Both options are reasonable. The main concern is that the presence of a uterine septum makes a somewhat inhospitable environment for the baby to grow (less space, more complications, etc.).

I would recommend that you talk with your gynecologist about determining when the best time is for you; however, if you are having pain associated with it then it seems reasonable to pursue correction of the issue sooner rather than later.