Forum Name: Fertility

Question: bhcg blood test

muppet - Thu May 31, 2007 8:23 pm

hi im a 19 year old female, about 12 weeks ago i thought i mite have gotten pregnant, so i did 3 home pregnany tsts, they were all negative but i was still concerned as i had 2 very light periods, and started to notice some changes, so about 3 weeks ago my docor sent me off for a bhcg blood test to check fro pregnancy, i called 2 days later and a nure told me that the test was negative, i am just wondering if the test could have been wrong as my breasts have gotten bigger and my nipples seem to be larger aswell, i am very worried! any advice wouldbe great i justwant to stop stressing, everyone keeps tellin me that i am not pregnant but the bigger breasts and niplees if im not pregnant y would they have changed?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:49 am

User avatar Generally the blood pregnancy test is quite accurate. It usually becomes positive sooner than does the urine tests.

It may also be that you are having some fluctuations in your hormone levels that may be causing some of your symptoms.

I would recommend that you see your doctor for an evaluation to discuss your symptoms. Rarely, there are reports of women that do not have a positive test until later in pregnancy but these cases are quite rare.

muppet - Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:50 pm

so does this mean that i am not pregnant? and that ican stop wprrying?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:46 pm

User avatar Unfortunately I cannot say with 100% certainty that you are not pregnant, only that it is less likely given a negative blood test. if there is still concern I would recommend you repeat the pregnancy test in 1-2 weeks and discuss your symptoms with your obstetrician/gynecologist.