Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: ovary pain ??

 tripper - Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:42 am

ive got pain its on both side as it feels like its coming from my ovaries as weird as that sounds but there in the same position its sharp stabbing like pains and aching all day started yesterday for me any help?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:13 pm

User avatar The ovaries can produce pain. Other possibilities are a urine infection, or, if the exposure is present, an STD. GI infections can also do this (such as a viral colitis).

If your pain worsens or does not improve you should be evaluated.

Best wishes.
 tripper - Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:35 pm

wouldnt the vagina be hurting as well if it was an STD tho
 tripper - Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:37 pm

i also got told once that i may have had CMV or it was present in my body
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:48 am

User avatar You would not necessarily have vaginal pain with an STD and it is unlikely there is any connection with the CMV you were once informed about (around 80% of adults have this virus present in their body). Anytime you have persistent, unexplained pain, you should see your health care provider.
 tripper - Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:56 pm

i seen my doc yesterday he said something like musclular or something :S and its not my ovaries it don't feel like that tho
 tripper - Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:32 am

the pains about 2 cm's from my hip bone and it still aches my stomach doesnt feel right either
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:11 am

User avatar Abdominal pain can be difficult to diagnose. Often, it takes a little detective work to figure out what is going on. I would recommend you follow up with your doctor if the pain does not begin to get better in the next day or so.

Best wishes.
 tripper - Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:22 pm

thx for ur help if it still there by monday ill see a diff doctor.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:15 pm

User avatar Sounds like a good idea. There are so many organs in the abdomen that diagnosis can be very difficult. Also, pain can be referred, meaning the actual point of the pain may be different from where you are feeling it. This is why it is important to have the doctor check it out. Good luck.
 tripper - Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:03 am

would the pill have anything to do with it ? also i had ait of spotting and havent made it to a doctor yet.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:07 am

User avatar Oral contraceptives (the pill) usually don't cause many side effects but in some people there can be a variety of concerns, especially in the first 3 or 4 months of using them. This can include some cramping, but not typically sharp pain. In most of these cases, the problems resolve in a few months and they are able to use them without problems. So, I guess the answer is, yes, of course that could be something to look at, but certainly I would not immediately jump to that conclusion. Again, having it checked out is the only thing that you can do in this case. Good luck.
 tripper - Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:08 am

update ive been slack and only went to see a dr today im getting bloods done with a long list dunno wat the letters mean and hormones urine test and pelvic ultrasound and xray he said maybe ovaries and my mum has had sists on hers so im not sure any ideas i don't want to freak out just yet and im going to the toilet alot more lately and the pains is almost daily.
 tripper - Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:56 am

any thoughts ? i think maybe endometriosis but the pain is gettin more severe.
 tripper - Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:23 am

my mother also has had cysts on her ovaries before im in constant pain now im almost crying could it be Endometriosis i looked at the symptoms and have all but 2 pain during sex and urinating i don't have. please help
 tripper - Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:47 am

Hello any reply please i am going to see a gyno referred from my gp he said he doesnt know :| any help would be great
 tripper - Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:23 am

Period pain - yes
Pain during sexual intercourse - often
Pelvic and abdominal pain outside of menstruation - yes !
Abnormal bleeding- including heavy bleeding, clotting, prolonged bleeding,irregular bleeding, premenstrual spotting - yes
Bowel disturbances - including painful bowel motions - yes
Lower back - yes
Premenstrual syndrome - yes
Spotting, heavy periods - yes
Abdominal bloating, swelling or tenderness - yes
Urinary frequency - yes
Fatigue - yes

pain is more severe and i just had my period and the pain was much worse sometimes unbearable.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:39 pm

User avatar With these symptoms I'm a bit suspicious of endometriosis. Seeing the gynecologist is a good idea.

If it does end up being endometriosis this can be treated by several different methods.

Best wishes.
 tripper - Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:32 am

suspicious that it is endometriosis or that its not ?

i havent yet made an appt for gyno but there may a 6 weeks waiting time depending on who i can see the dr i seen yesterday had no clue and had no idea wat he was doin i think my triplet sister may have had it last yr anything else you suggest ?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:56 pm

User avatar Sorry about that, I'm suspicious that your symptoms may be caused by endometriosis.

Unfortunately, this sometimes can be difficult to diagnose. In the most difficult cases an exploratory laparoscopy is sometimes needed to actually directly look for areas of endometriosis.

Seeing your gynecologist is the first step.

Best wishes.
 tripper - Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:43 am

ohh ok thats what i thought it maybe take up to 6 to 8 weeks to see someone :S
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:29 pm

User avatar Endometriosis would certainly be one cause of abdominal pain which your doctor will likely look for. Also, urinary tract problems (bladder, kidneys, etc.). I'm glad you are getting care for this.
 tripper - Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:33 pm

the gp i normally see and is really good was sick so i had to see a 'new' dr i couldnt understand him he said it was constipation but might be endo he doesnt know which is why im still going to see a gyno.
 tripper - Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:50 am

my ultrasound and xray came back with nothing and ive been going to the toilet regularly so i wouldnt mind asking me regular dr wat he thinks aswell cant be constipation if its lasted 5 months.....
 tripper - Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:25 am

reply would help i see the gyno next in a month still get pains and a feeling on tearing sometimes not sure if thats got anything to do with it reply would be great tell me what you think please.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:45 pm

User avatar Endometriosis is certainly a possibility. When you saw your doctor did you mention this concern or did he examine you for this condition?
 tripper - Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:52 am

he was'nt my normal dr so he was useless he looked at the ultrasound and xray said he doesnt know felt my tummy said nothing i asked if its endo as its in my family my mother has a 3cm cyst on her ovary at the moment and my triplet sis was in hospital for it not sure wat happened tho he said constipation but this has been since march and i experienced one of the worse periods in my life recently so i don't think constipation is it i see the gyno in a month not sure wat to expect if its not pain its a dull ache
 tripper - Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:51 pm

a reply would be nice please
 tripper - Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:11 am

?? help the pains are back
 tripper - Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:49 am

Dr. Chan Lowe wrote:Sorry about that, I'm suspicious that your symptoms may be caused by endometriosis.

Unfortunately, this sometimes can be difficult to diagnose. In the most difficult cases an exploratory laparoscopy is sometimes needed to actually directly look for areas of endometriosis.

Seeing your gynecologist is the first step.

Best wishes.

my gyno said most likely endometriosis when he examined me and in 3 and abit weeks im booked for a laparoscopy the pains are more frequent now.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:26 pm

User avatar Sorry for not getting back to you about this. With endometriosis often a laparoscopy is necessary to 1) confirm the diagnosis and 2) help treat it. The affected areas can be treated but they may return.

Sometimes, treatment with oral contraceptives can be helpful also.

Best wishes.
 tripper - Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:05 am

i had it done yesterday in pain but ill get over it i got told i have an enlarged ovary and they think the endometriosis is behind my uterus. they also told me i have a soft uterus wat does that mean i got told it is an early sign of pregnancy if so would the laproscopy have done something if i was pregnant they did do a urine test. i see them in 2 weeks and don't really want to wait that long please help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:54 pm

User avatar If you are pregnant it is unlikely the surgery did any damage. Pregnancy can actually relieve many of the symptoms of endometriosis because it stops the normal monthly cycling of hormones. Unfortunately, sometimes after delivery the endometriosis issues return.

Usually a home pregnancy test is accurate during the 4th to 5th week after the last period. You can use one of these before your next visit if it has been long enough.

Best wishes.
 tripper - Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:59 am

hi thanks for the reply im seeing my dr tomoro morning i think they did a pee test after surgery as the dr was concerned had 1 line but i missed a pill a week before that or 2 weeks brest are tender and ive been feeling sickly but i am seeing the dr tomoro to make sure.

 tripper - Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:43 pm

question what does soft uterus mean apart from possible pregnancy are there any other reasons ?
 tripper - Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:24 am

i got the results grade 1 endometrosis mild i think its what she said got told to stay on the pill and see how it goes if it gets worse to go back.
What are you thoughts on this?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:27 am

User avatar Generally for mild endometriosis, using a hormonal regulatory medicine, such as contraceptive pills, is a standard treatment. The ectopic (located in the wrong place) endometrial tissue cycles in response to hormones just like the normal uterine tissue does. Using the birth control pills can help ease the symptoms some.

If this is ineffective there are some other treatments that can be pursued.

Best wishes.
 tripper - Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:46 pm

hi update im still gettin the pains and the last 2 days ive had spotting i been skipping the sugar pills as one gyno dr told me to another said carry on as normal but the pains worse when i have my period so i try to skip them if i get more spotting ill go back to the doctor but its rather annoying having nothing to get rid of it.
 tripper - Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:04 am

its been a week now same thing everyday light spotting and cramps would it be because i skipped the sugar pills ? ive don't it before and nothings happened should i have my period this week and see how it goes ?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:13 pm

User avatar Of course ovarian cysts and endometriosis are possibilities. I'm glad you are in the care of a physician and I'm sure the work up will reveal the cause of your distress.

Best wishes.
 tripper - Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:31 am

ive been diagnosed with endometrosis mild and an enlarged ovary been told to stay on pill like normal and also told to skip the sugar pills so i don't have my period ive skipped the sugar pills for 2 months now and the last week and a half ive had pains cramping and spotting everyday im abit worried should i go onto sugar pills or see a dr ??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:30 pm

User avatar Hi Tripper,

You may want to talk with your gynecologist. It may be that you need a little higher level of hormone in your pill. I would not recommend you start taking the sugar pill unless directed by your doctor. This could allow your endometriosis to flare up.

Best wishes.
 tripper - Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:00 pm

i already took the sugar pill to try and stop the bleeding but ill make an appt soon. thx
 tripper - Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:50 pm

you were right it has flared up and im in alot of pain makes it hard to work what should i do see dr or gyno about it

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us