Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Semen Parameters

boxing fan - Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:21 pm

Hello, I am a 28 yr. old male. I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to what a "normal" semen analysis should read. Everything on mine seems normal (via website surfing) with the exception of morphology and motility. Morphlogy reads 84% abnormal and 14% normal, and motility is grade 2-3. I only have my student health insurance so I am only able to use the health center ay my university which does not staff specialists, therefore I am not 100% sure what this fancy-talk means. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:03 am

User avatar This type of evaluation can help determine fertility but are not actually diagnostic for infertility. It helps the doctor determine what measures might be helpful if you desire to father a child but may be having difficulty achieving this. I am not an expert here, but I am seeing some variation in what is considered "normal." In addition to this, there are different methods for evaluating morphology and motility and labs do vary so it is hard to give information with numbers alone.

With morphology, according to the New England Journal of Medicine, anything greater then 12% normal is in the fertile range. Based on this information you are sill in normal range here at 14% However, another site I found gives 50% as fertility minimum. This alone tells me that surfing the net for evaluation of your labs will probably not be helpful. I assume you have seen a urologist or fertility specialist who could better interpret the results and what they mean to you, based on the ranges given at the lab where the work was done. This is probably the only way to correctly interpret and understand your situation. I'm sorry I am not more helpful here and perhaps someone else here will be able to add to it.
 boxing fan - Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:21 pm

Thank you for the reply. I have yet to see any specialists due to monetary issues. You described findings similar to mine, i.e. multiple sources=multiple and varying answers.