Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Contraceptive Pill usage

chakkaranilave - Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:59 am

I am 24 yr old female.

I am using Desogestrel & Ethinylestradiol as contraceptive Tablet to avoid pregnancy. It’s a 21 days course tablet and I am taking the tablet from 5th day of my periods. After 3 to 4 days from stopping the tablet, I am getting my periods back. In those 3 to 4 days do we need to use any barriers method? Is there any chance of getting pregnant on those days?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:16 pm

User avatar I'm glad you asked this question since no doubt others are also wondering about this. The answer is no, you do not need to do anything during the days you are off the pill. The suppression of ovulation is the way it works and this lasts throughout the month, unless you miss pills - in that case you should use a back up until the next cycle.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us