Question: Congenital penis curve surgery--cost, insurance, privacy?

Option - Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:10 pm

22 year old male with congenital curvature, downward and lateral with moderate extent. Seeking surgical solution to straighten--how much will this cost, and will insurance cover it? I would also like to hide this from everyone I know, as it's embarassing. I am on my family's health insurance plan though--would it be inevitable for them to find out in that case? I don't want to explain something like this to them. But I would really like to fix this problem without waiting a few years until I'm on my own health insurance plan and working.

Essentially can I somehow pull off a secret surgery? What can I expect from recovery too? Thank you!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:07 pm

User avatar I'm not familiar with the costs of such surgeries and they will vary some from place to place. Regarding your question about the insurance, if the insurance statements/policies are sent to your parents it is quite likely that they will get a statement showing that the insurance has covered the costs of a medical procedure. Depending on the insurance company, it is unlikely to say exactly what the procedure was but will likely say who the doctor was. There really isn't any way around this that I am aware of.

Also, if your curvature is determined to not be impacting functioning the insurance may not cover the procedure. It is best to talk with your insurance company before having any surgery done to be sure it will be covered as expected.

Sorry I can't be much help regarding the technical side of the surgery. I'm not familiar enough with it.