Forum Name: Fertility

Question: PCOS symptoms w/ out PCOS?

CT617 - Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:01 pm

I am a 20 year old female who has recently been having some pain in what seemed to be my ovaries. I Also did not have my period for 4 months lasting from the beginning of march until the beginning of July. (I read up on this and realized it could be that I still was not ovulating it was just my uterus lining shedding since it was so thick) I finally went into the doctor's and have since had a external/internal ultrasound as well as several blood tests. My ultra sound showed that I have fiber cysts covering both ovaries, and since I have had recent wieght gain, some mild facial hair, infrequent/absent periods, and pain all signs were pointing to PCOS said my Doctor. Well we checked all sorts of things including my insulin and the only thing that has come back irregular is my FSH level was low. And of course she said that it is possible to still have PCOS but unlikely since my insulin was normal. She also mentioned that since I have a cyst in the center of my brain that has been watched/evaluated yearly and has never shown any signs of problems it could possibly be linked with this low FSH level and what it is sending to my ovaries, again unlikely but still a possible route. Me and my husband are wanting to possibly start trying to have children especially if we are going to have problems concieving- and I would just like to know if anyone has any other suggestions as to what this possibly could be based on my symptoms or any advice as to what my next step should be? The only thing I have genetically is breast cancer on my dad's side and my aunt on my mother's side had endometriousis when she was 30. No medications and on surgery on a pilonidal cyst a year and a half ago. Any suggestions are appreciated... please help. :)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:36 pm

User avatar I believe this could be PCOS, even without insulin problems. People are very different in their response and you certainly have enough symptoms for me to suspect this. Rarely does one present with all the possible symptoms in any given condition. More commonly it is enough symptoms to raise red flags for further investigation. There are medications, such as Metformin, that are effective in treating PCOS so I would see a doctor who is comfortable and experienced in treating PCOS (most likely OB/GYN or endocrinologist) to get another opinion about this.

I am guessing the cyst you refer to is on the pituitary gland. It certainly can explain some of the FSH fluctuation.

PCOS can affect fertility so it is something to consider. At your age, if you are actively trying to conceive, it will likely happen within the year. If you do not become pregnant, that again might be a symptom of PCOS.

At any rate, getting an evaluation with a specialist could only help.