Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: sex during menopause?

ksing - Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:25 am

My friend is only 35, and she's never had any health problems.. except a few flu cases but the problem now is that she's really depressed.. she thinks she might be losing her husband due to her lack of sexual drive.. she blames it all on her menopause symptoms.. she gets irritated easily and gets depressed very often. she wants to do something about it but i don't know what to do! :( .. should i ask her to take activella to relieve her or should i beg her to go to a doctor?? she doesn't feel comfortable to talk about this to a doctor...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:22 pm

User avatar Thank you for being a concerned friend. Many times it is helpful for an outside observer to be involved and to encourage someone to get the help they need.

I certainly understand her reluctance to talk about such a sensitive subject with a doctor or other professional and yet this could be exactly the thing that can make a difference to her.

You mentioned that this is making her depressed. That is also very understandable, but it is also possible that underlying undiagnosed/untreated depression and/or anxiety could be causing the problems. Sex drive is frequently cited as a symptom of depression. She may need medication to help this. Wellbutrin is one medication that has recently been shown to actually help improve a woman's sex drive while treating her depression, but she needs to see a doctor to find out if she is a candidate for this or another prescription.

There could be other issues such as hormone imbalance or even psychological concerns that should be addressed in therapy. Please continue to urge her to see a doctor (Gynecologist or psychiatrist) for an evaluation. Remind her that this is a very common problem among women and can be quite effectively treated.

Let us know if you have other questions and how this goes. Again, thank you for caring about your friend. This can be so helpful and I'm sure it means a lot to her to have a confidante such as yourself.