Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Red bump on the skin of my penis

 jo_smith344 - Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:27 pm

Hi. I am an 18 year old male. I am uncircumcised and have never had sex before (although i do enjoy the occasional masturbation). About a week ago I noticed a red bump (a little smaller than a pea) ON the skin of the penis (it is on the underside of the penis, by that i mean that when i am flaccid it is the part of the penis that is against my scrotum). Well, it is actually close to where the skin of the penis and the scrotum come together. Like I said, I am uncircumcised so it is hard to tell exactly where it is because the skin moves around, but when I get erect, the bump is on the shaft of the penis. Anyway, I know the bump is on the skin and not on the penis, itself, or a testicle, because it is at the part of my genitals where i can lift the skin away from my testicles and penis. When i lift the skin away, i see that the bump is on the skin. The bump is a little smaller than pea sized and it is red. It is not really scaly or anything like that either. I cannot figure out what it is. I was hoping that you can explain to me what you think it might be and any possible remedies (like creams, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, etc.). Thanks a lot because I really do not feel comfortable showing it to my dad and then going to a doctor unless that is absolutely necessary. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

By the way, I do have Fordyce spots, but this is bigger and redder than all of those spots. And I did shave my scrotum (just my scrotum, not all of my genital area) about a month and a half ago.

In case i haven't answered these,
1. Age--18
3. Past diagnoses--None (i diagnosed my own Fordyce spots using pictures on the internet and doctorslounge forums)
4. Past surgeries--None
5. Family history--no problems except my parents have high blood pressure
6. Current medications--None

Thanks again!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:07 am

User avatar Hello Jo_smith344,

What you are seeing may be a clogged pore or blocked hair follicle. These are quite common. They can get infected, in which case the redness spreads and the area typically becomes fairly painful.

Often these will resolve spontaneously unless they become infected.

I would recommend that if the area is not improving in the next few days or if it begins to get worse, the redness spreads or it becomes painful that you have it evaluated by your doctor.

Best wishes.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:12 am

User avatar I suspect this is some kind of pimple, sebaceous cyst or infected hair follicle (folliculitis) or even some type of wart. It is possible it will just go away on its own but if not you may want to see a doctor for accurate diagnosis and possible treatment.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us