Question: Testicular Pain

graz1 - Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:20 am

I am a 20 year old male with occasional testicular pain. This pain usually occurs after extended periods of arousal without orgasm. Lately I've grown concerned because the pain, usually relieved some time after orgasm, has become persistent. The pain seems to be coming from behind the right testicle, in a bundled tube-like structure. This structure is best described as 'free floating' in the scrotum rather then tightly bound to the testicle. Applying even light pressure to this structure during episodes of testicular pain is uncomfortable.
What could be causing the pain?
Thank you!
Guy
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:38 pm

User avatar Hi Graz1,

From your description I think you may have a varicocele. This is a collection of blood vessels that become dilated within the scrotum. Generally these are painless and really often harmless but sometimes they can cause pain.

The diagnosis is generally easily made by physical examination. If they are causing problems varicoceles can be repaired.

I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation.

graz1 - Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:32 pm

Thank you for your continued help Dr. Lowe. I searched for more information about this condition and it seemed to fit exactly what I'm feeling. I also found that the condition is occasionally the cause of infertility. Should I be concerned or is infertility a comparatively rare resulting complication?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:28 pm

User avatar Infertility can be due to a varicocele. This is thought to be because the extra blood running through the varicocele raises the temperature in the scrotum which kills sperm.

It is actually fairly rare for this to happen. Generally, if one finds he is having trouble conceiving a child and a varicocele is found it can be repaired to see if this helps. More commonly they don't cause problems though.

kidd34 - Mon May 11, 2009 6:43 pm

hi im 16 yrs and for about 5 days i have had a slight pain in my testicles. The pain realy came on after masturbating one night. i figured that i masturbated to much and that this was the reason for the pain. Then i went for my annual physcial, but did not tell my DR, since i didnt think of it being any concern. My doctor felt my testicles and said every thing was normal. The pain is not severe to the point where i cant stand it, but i do recgonzise some pain, especially in my left testicle. The pain is on and off at different times of the day ( for like 2 hours i feel no pain what so ever, but then i feel some pain) I feel no lumps and feel fine other that this pain. I am beggining to worry. What should i do?