Forum Name: Fertility

Question: 40 & still not pregnant

dimple - Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:01 am

I'm 40/F. Been married for 5 years, misscarried on my 8th week 1st year of marriage & still trying to conceive. Started to visit fertility clinic a year ago & did all the necessary test. My left tube is blocked. My hubby's sperm count was excellent. I've been injecting puregon since April (dose:50iu increased to 250iu). I had 2 iui both failed. Last month my FSH level was 11 & last 2 days I was on 300iu puregon but my eggs did not respond. Only 1 tiny little egg 4mm (if I'm wrong) on my day11. My dr. decided to abandon this cycle since my egg is not responding eventhough I was on maximum dose of puregon 300iu. Dr. said that my egg reserve is low & nothing can be done about it. Does that mean I can't have my own little angels? Am I nearing menopause? Is there any vitamins or supplements that I can take to decrease my FSH level & increase my chances to get pregnant? Please help....

Dimple
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:42 pm

User avatar You may want to consider in vitro (IVF) using donor eggs. Even though many women now successfully carry healthy babies to term after age 40, many of those you hear about have used donor eggs to optimize their chances. Of course you won't read about this in People Magazine, and that's OK because it is a personal matter, not really public concern. If you go this route, the same applies to you - nobody would need to know you used donor eggs and you would hopefully be able to carry the baby yourself anyway. Many mothers feel this gives both parents a biological factor. Your husband's sperm fertilizes the egg; you nourish and care for it in your body and you deliver as a couple just like anyone else.

I wish you success in your endeavor, but don't rule out alternative but rewarding ways to love and nurture a child. Good luck.
 dimple - Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:57 am

Hi Debbie
Thankyou for your advise but due to our religion & belief we cannot use donor's eggs. I hope there is medical treatment for my situation.