Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: heavily masterbation since 13

mrcraigmack - Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:25 am

i have been masterbating since i was about 13 about 5-10 times a day no joke now that im 18 i find it hard to get my wife pregnant. could my habbit be effecting my sperm??? i really want a baby
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:13 pm

User avatar The jury is still out on this one I'm afraid.

There does not appear to be a correlation between infertility and masturbation according to some reliable sources. There is no evidence that it affects a man's erections, fertility, or sperm count. But, at such a high frequency, it could affect your relationship with your wife and if you are not having frequent sexual intercourse it is unlikely she will become pregnant.

Others have expressed the concept that repeated ejaculations at intervals of 24 hours or less may result in sperm depletion and a drop in numbers of 30 percent or more. Muscular contractions usually diminish with subsequent orgasms, which also contributes to lower sperm volumes and counts. For this reason, fertility clinics often recommend daily intercourse during fertile days and every other day or 3-4 times weekly during the other days (or for men with a low sperm count). The belief is that sperm production will be temporarily reduced with frequent ejaculations.

In my opinion it makes sense to not waste the sperm through masturbation if you want conception to occur.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us