Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Painful sex

babycakes19 - Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:29 am

I am a 19 year old female and for the past 4 years i have been in a relationship. For the past 2 years it has been unbearable for me to have intercourse with my boyfriend. We had split up because i found out he had slept with someone else. When we got back together sex was extremely painful. I have went to the doctors twice and got tested for STD's but have been giving the all clear on both occasions but had thrush the second time i had gone. I was given a tablet by the doctor to clear the thrush but intercourse is still painful.

The pain starts when the tip of the penis enters the vagina. It is too painful for the penis to actually go inside the vagina. It is also painful for finger/s to go inside the vagina.

Could you please give me some information on what this could be as i am very worried.
Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:40 pm

User avatar It could be vaginismus, an involuntary spasm of the muscles surrounding the vagina. The spasms close the vagina and make intercourse painful or impossible. Other possibilities could be bacterial or fungal infections, as you have already experienced.

You should see your gynecologist again.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us