Question: Mid 20's with loss of sexual desire and erection problem

questionhungry - Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:52 am

I am a 25 year old male, don't do drugs and have family history of diabetes.

I am not sexually active but until recently, have lost the desire for it. The size of my 'member' seems to be smaller than usual.

I can get an erection with a some persuasion but the desire is not there although I do want it back. I started exercising again a few weeks back but am not seeing any progress.

I noticed in the forums that advice to such related problems is to see the doctor. Would it be a problem in the future if I took too long to do a checkup?

Thank you for your time.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:28 am

User avatar I would not expect this to be anything that would require immediate consultation. Sexual arousal is such a complex thing, including emotional, hormonal, physical and mental conditions that vary. When you are not having a loving relationship with someone it is difficult to ascertain whether or not this is a real concern.

I understand your anxiety when looking down the road a bit but chances are when conditions are right and you are in a loving and committed relationship that feels safe and right to you, your desires will be what you would want and expect.

I would discourage pornography as this tends to be a false illusion of women, sex and desire, is addictive, and does not help the natural responses in a real relationship. In fact, it can hurt since reality is not what you see on the screen.

If in the future you have problems in a real relationship, you could seek help but at your age I doubt this will be a problem. Even abstaining from sexual activity in the meantime will in no way harm your future sex life. You cannot compare future performance to masturbation - they are entirely different. Lack of arousal now can actually help you to focus on other things in your life that will be productive and you can let things happen naturally at the right time and with the right person.