Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: What are the chances of being pregnant if?

kool21 - Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:58 pm

My name is mike and I am 21 years old. What are the chances of being pregnant when you're on birth control and are still getting your period.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:51 pm

User avatar Your risk of pregnancy while on birth control depends on the method used and how diligent you are in using it properly. No method is 100% effective but when used perfectly (i.e. no missed pills, missed condoms, etc.) they are quite reliable.

Having periods is generally a good indicator that she is not pregnant. Some exceptions occur but usually if there is a period after pregnancy occurs it is a lighter than usual.
 kool21 - Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:14 am

She is still getting her period, however she tells me that they are irregular. Does this mean there is a strong possibility that she is pregnant. (She's on birth control also.)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:16 pm

User avatar Not likely. Irregularity is not usually indicative of pregnancy. Absence of periods would be the thing to cause worry here.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us