Forum Name: Fertility

Question: What are the chances of being pregnant if?

kool21 - Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:58 pm

My name is mike and I am 21 years old. What are the chances of being pregnant when you're on birth control and are still getting your period.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:51 pm

User avatar Your risk of pregnancy while on birth control depends on the method used and how diligent you are in using it properly. No method is 100% effective but when used perfectly (i.e. no missed pills, missed condoms, etc.) they are quite reliable.

Having periods is generally a good indicator that she is not pregnant. Some exceptions occur but usually if there is a period after pregnancy occurs it is a lighter than usual.
 kool21 - Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:14 am

She is still getting her period, however she tells me that they are irregular. Does this mean there is a strong possibility that she is pregnant. (She's on birth control also.)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:16 pm

User avatar Not likely. Irregularity is not usually indicative of pregnancy. Absence of periods would be the thing to cause worry here.